Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Turkey Stuffed Green Peppers


My friend that I run with is a very healthy eater. She uses Daily Plate at www.Livestrong.com for a lot of recipes and told me to try this one because it was one of her favorites. Glad I did, because it was so good and my family loved it. My 3 year old was so excited to get her very own pepper with dinner inside of it. I made some adjustments to the recipe by using instant brown rice (instead of white rice that you add in uncooked, then have to wait an hour for the entire dish to cook), and I did forgo the cheese on mine, but other than that it is a pretty lo-cal meal (a little less than 300 calories per serving) and very simple. It's nice to finally use that spice rack I received as a gift at my wedding 6 years ago.

6 servings Green Bell Pepper

1.25 servings Ground Turkey - Raw
7.25 servings Tomato sauce
.5 cups Onions
1 servings Garlic Clove
1 teaspoons Oregano, Dried
1/2 teaspoons Thyme, Dried
1/2 teaspoons Rosemary, Dried
1/2 teaspoons Basil, Dried
1/2 teaspoons Rubbed Sage
1/8 teaspoons Pepper, Black
2 cups cooked instant Brown Rice

Instructions:

Slice tops off peppers and hollow. Set aside.
In a large skillet, brown the turkey. Remove and set aside. In the same skillet, combine 1/4c. water and 1/4c. of the tomato sauce with onion, garlic and herbs. Simmer until vegetables are tender. Stir in rest of tomatoe sauce, turkey and cooked rice. Stuff into peppers and place in a baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees F for 1/2 hour. Remove, top each pepper with about 1 tablespoon cheese. Return to oven for 3 minutes or until the cheese has melted.

No comments:

Post a Comment